12 oz stout (Guinness works well)
6 lb eye round roast
1/2 cup salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground mace
6 ground cloves
1 clove garlic (crushed into a paste)
3 bay leaves (finely chopped)
2 tsp molasses
2 1/2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp saltpeter
1) Mix together bay leaves, mace, garlic, allspice, pepper, molasses, brown sugar, salt, saltpeter and all but 1 tsp of the cloves.
2) Place the beef in a large bowl and rub all over with the spice and flavoring mixture.
3) Cover and refrigerate.
4) Once or twice a day rub in the mixture, do this for about a week.
5) Tie up the meat and place in a large pot.
6) At this time rub in a last teaspoon of ground cloves.
7) Add 12oz of beer and then cover with cold water.
8) Simmer gently for 6 hours.
9) Allow to cool in the cooking liquid.
10) When cool, remove from the cooking liquid and cover.
11) Refrigerate until serving time.
12) Serve cold and thinly sliced.