12 oz Belgian Ale
2 lbs mussels
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced country ham
1 minced shallot
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped tarragon
1 tbsp chopped basil
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1) Scrub mussel shell's and remove the beard.
2) In a skillet heat oil and 1 tbsp of the butter until melted.
3) Add ham and cook until crispy.
4) Add garlic, shallots, and thyme and cook until soft. (about 2 min.)
5) Stir in mussels and simmer (1 min.)
6) Add beer and cover. (bring to a boil)
7) Reduce heat and simmer until mussels open ( about 10 min.)
8) Throw away any that do not open.
9) Add parsley, tarragon, basil, lemon juice, and the remaining butter.
10) Toss allowing the butter to melt.
11) Salt and pepper to taste.