12 oz Lager (I used Fosters)
1 tbsp olive oil
12 cups sweet onions (sliced thin and halved)
6 cups beef stock
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp thyme leaves (fresh if poss.)
8 slices crusty bread
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1) Place olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
2) When oil is hot, add the onions. (do not stir for 3 min)
3) Reduce the heat to medium and cook uncovered until caramelized, stir occasionally. (30 to 40 min)
4) Pour in beer and scrap brown bits from bottom of pot.
5) Add beef stock and black pepper.
6) Bring to a simmer and cook. (15 min)
7) While it cooks cut bread slices to fit inside crocks.
8) Toast bread slices until brown.
9) Remove onion mixture from heat.
10) Add thyme leaves, cover and let sit. (5 min)
11) Pour the soup into 8 crocks.
12) Place bread in crocks.
13) Mix together Swiss and Mozzarella cheeses.
14) Top each with 1/2 cup cheese.
15) Place the crocks on a baking tray and place in broiler.
16) Broil until the cheese melts and turns slightly brown.