12 oz IPA (I used a Heavy Seas Loose Cannon)
40 oz chicken broth
2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
2 chopped stalks celery
1 chopped onion
2 chopped cloves garlic
1 cup roasted red peppers
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
24 oz milk
6 cups grated Smoked Gouda cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
1) Put beer, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and roasted peppers in a large pot.
2) Bring to a low boil and cook covered. (30 min)
3) While vegetables simmer melt the butter.
4) Stir in the flour. (cook until tan colored)
5) Add the milk stirring constantly until smooth.
6) Simmer, stirring constantly until thickened, (about 5 min)
7) Remove pot from the heat and add pepper.
8) Stir in the cheese until smooth.
9) Using a mixer purée the vegetable beer mixture. (optional)
10) Carefully pour cheese mixture into vegetable beer mixture.
11) Stir until smooth.
12) Reduce heat to medium and bring soup to a simmer.
13) Remove from heat, season with salt to taste and serve.