8 oz Amber lager (I used Abita Amber)
6 large russet potatoes (slice 1/16 in.)
3 tbsp butter
4 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup grated gruyere cheese
Fresh ground pepper
1) Toss the potatoes with the beer.
2) Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
3) Add the chopped onions and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some freshly ground pepper.
4) Cover and simmer slowly for 15 minutes (making sure not to burn onions).
5) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6) Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
7) Overlap 1/3 of the potato slices in one layer.
8) Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper.
9) Sprinkle on one-third of the Gruyere and half the braised onions.
10) Continue with more layers, ending with cheese, there will be only 2 layers of onions. (do not salt the top layer)
11) Pour any remaining beer over the casserole and dot the top with the last tablespoon of butter.
12) Bake on the middle shelf of the oven until potatoes are soft. (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours)